When we travel, we are exposed to situations that are out of our norms and learn new things about ourselves and the world around us. Often, people will go quite some time without traveling or taking a vacation because of the expense. However, what we deem as too expensive or dangerous may actually save us more on lifestyle expense than you would spend living at home. Discovering new places, people and culture opens our minds, sparks creativity, and improve our health.
Research shows that regularly vacationing or traveling can drastically improve your overall health, relationships, career and productivity. When you are in a new environment, you are out of the ‘same old, same old’ rut. Exposing yourself to different experiences and fresh perspectives will transform you into a well-round being. We’ve put together 12 reasons why you owe it to yourself to regularly take a vacation.
- Annually going on vacation can decrease a person’s risk of a heart attack by 50 percent.
- Stress hormones, heart rate and blood pressure start decreasing on vacations after only one or two days
- Researched conducted on patients, at a Midwestern Veteran’s hospital, who appeared isolated and withdrawn were able to communication after returning from vacation. The hospital staff reported that vacations appeared to lift the spirits of their patients who were diagnosed with depression and prolonged diseases.
- Regular travelers see improvement in their length and overall quality of sleep after returning from their vacations.
- Studies show that over half of employed American return from vacations feeling reconnected with their families.
- Similarly, women who take regular vacations are more satisfied in their marriages.
- The anticipation of an upcoming vacation can increase positive feelings in one’s family, health, and professional life.
- Vacations sharpen your mind and improve your overall performance at work and are necessary to avoid feeling of being “burnout.
- Vacations can also spark creativity. According to a study by American Express, more than a third of small-business owner says their best ideas, which lead to the business growth, have come while on vacation or downtime.
- Students who study internationally become more trusting, open-minded, confident and tolerant as a result of their abroad experiences.
Traveling is an investment in yourself that will sharpen and open your mind to new cultures, people and lifestyles. Many see regularly taking a vacation has a financial burden that they cannot afford, however the cost of a flight or hotel is just a small price to pay to improve your health, and overall life. If you’re feeling study on what you want to do in your life, career or education path, traveling can surprised you what answers and discover a new sense of direction.